We ended up at St Nicholas C of E Church or Worth Church as it's locally known and took the time to look around.this ancient building. Worth is the 4th oldest church in the country and has been a place of Christian worship and devotion for well over 1000 years. It is known that the church is of Anglo-Saxon origin and parts of it have been dated to between AD 950 and 1050, in particular the chancel arch and apse. It was built in what, at the time, was a forest. The reason for building a church here is unknown, but it is surmised that the area would have had good hunting grounds and royal or noble visitors to the grounds would need a place to pray in comfort. As it was a large church isolated in the forest, it is unlikely itwas just for local needs. After the Norman conquest of England in 1066, Wil iam the Conqueror gave the church to his son-in-law William de Warenne, whose coat of arms is still visible in the stained glass windows of the church. In the 14th century, the church was passed from the de Warrenne family to the Fitzalan family, who lost it in 1415 to the Nevills, Earl of Abergavenny.
We may branch out in future to do the Forest Way which starts at the other side of East Grinstead and the round trip would be 20 miles, with coffee stops on the way, of course.